Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 3 hours
Total Time 3 h 20 m
Serves 12 People
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup white onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
10 Lb Fresh Young Turkey
2 Tbsp 100% Pure Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Sage
1/8 Tsp kosher salt
1/8 Tsp pepper
6 Whole Cloves
2 Cinnamon Sticks
1 apple, chopped
1 square grilling mesh
- For Charcoal Grill: Line one side of grill with double layer of heavy duty foil to form drip pan. Prepare charcoal on one side of grill to 300°F (check temperature with lid down).
- For Gas Grill: Light two burners on opposite ends of grill. Insert foil drip pan under center grill rack.
- Place celery, carrots, onions and garlic in drip pan.
- Meanwhile, remove neck and gizzards from turkey cavities. Rinse turkey, pat dry, tuck wings back, brush with olive oil and season inside and out with sage, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon whole cloves, cinnamon sticks, and apples inside turkey cavity. Return turkey legs to tucked position with brace provided or butcher string. Do not put dressing in this turkey.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on grilling mesh on grill rack over indirect heat. Cover and grill 11 to 13 minutes per pound to internal temperature of 180°F in thigh and 170°F in breast (about 2 1/2 to 3 hours).
- Rotate turkey (by turning grilling mesh) every hour for even browning.
- Remember to add 6 to 8 briquets every 45 minutes for charcoal grill.
- For perfect, juicy slices, remove turkey from grill, cover with foil and several dish towels. Let rest 20 minutes before carving.